The FDIC closed 1 bank on Friday, October 26, 2012. Total bank failures for 2012 increased to 47. Credit union failures for 2012 remain at 11.
#47 NOVA Bank, Berwyn, PA
* FDIC assumed all of the deposits and will payout insured deposits
* FDIC will retain all of the assets for later disposition
* As of June 30, 2012, the bank had approximately $483.0 million in total assets
* FDIC estimates the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $91.2 million
* The last bank closed in the state had been American Eagle Savings Bank, Boothwyn, on January 20, 2012
States where banks have been seized by the FDIC in 2012 (in alphabetical order): Alabama 1, California 1, Florida 7, Georgia 9, Illinois 7, Indiana 1, Kansas 1, Maryland 2, Michigan 1, Minnesota 4, Missouri 3, New Jersey 1, North Carolina 1, Oklahoma 1, Pennsylvania 2, South Carolina 2, Tennessee 3. Georgia and Florida have accounted for 16 total or 28% of all bank failures in 2012 to-date. Georgia and Florida accounted for 36 total or 39% of all bank failures in 2011.
USA Failed Banks by Year Bank failures skyrocketed in 2009 and 2010 to 140 and 157, respectively – a 2-year total of 297 compared to 32 from 2004 through 2008. Bank failures in 2011 continued at a high rate of 92. The total 2012 closings are currently estimated at 57. The 2012 annual bank failures are extrapolated from the weeks reported and failures year-to-date.
Cost of Failed Banks The total estimated cost to the FDIC Deposit Insurance Fund for the 2012 bank closures year-to-date is $2.31 billion.
The most costly banks to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) in 2012 year-to-date:
1 Tennessee Commerce Bank, Franklin, TN $416.8M
2 The First State Bank, Stockbridge, GA $216.2M
3 Inter Savings Bank FSB, Maple Grove, MN $117.5M
4 Fidelity Bank, Dearborn, MI $92.8M
5 NOVA Bank, Berwyn, PA $91.2M
6 First Guaranty Bank & Trust Company of Jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL $82.0M
7 Second Federal Savings and Loan Association of Chicago, Chicago, IL $76.9M
8 Plantation Federal Bank, Pawleys Island, SC $76.0M
9 BankEast, Knoxville, TN $75.6M
0 Montgomery Bank & Trust, Ailey, GA $75.2M
Failed Credit Unions
The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) has seized and/or closed 11 credit unions in 2012:
5 have been liquidated and sold
* Telesis Community Credit Union of Chatsworth, CA
* Wausau Postal Employees Credit Union of Wausau, WI
* Saguache County Credit Union of Moffat, CO
* People Community Development Credit Union of Philadelphia, PA
* A M Community Credit Union of Kenosha, WI
4 have been liquidated and closed
* El Paso’s Federal Credit Union of El Paso, Texas
* United Catholic Credit Union of Temperance, MI
* Western Bridge Corporate FCU of San Dimas, CA
* Shepherd’s Federal Credit Union of Charlotte, NC
2 have been liquidated and merged
* Trinity Credit Union, Trinidad, CO
* Eastern New York Federal Credit Union of Napanoch, NY
No credit unions are now in conservatorship and managed by the NCUA
States where credit unions have been seized by the NCUA in 2012 (in alphabetical order): California 2, Colorado 2, Michigan 1, New York 1, North Carolina 1, Pennsylvania 1, Texas 1, Wisconsin 2.